Berlin Cathedral

Berlin Cathedral is the short name for the Evangelical (i.e. Protestant) Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church in Berlin, Germany. It is located on Museum Island in the Mitte borough. The current building was finished in 1905 and is a main work of Historicist architecture of the “Kaiserzeit”.


Berliner Dom or Berlin Cathedral – is the main attraction of Germany. Externally the cathedral is striking in its beauty, it is the largest Protestant church in the country. Location of the cathedral is very good, it is located in the eastern part of Berlin Muzeynom on the island, where there is always a high attendance by tourists.


Berlin Cathedral had never been a cathedral in the actual sense of the term, since Berlin, not to mention this council, never was the seat of the Bishop of the Catholic Church. When in 1930 the Holy See created the first Catholic diocese in Berlin, Berlin Cathedral has long been a Protestant church. St. Hedwig’s Cathedral is the seat of the Berlin metropolitan area. The functions and the position of the bishop includes regular Protestant sermon in St. Mary’s Church, which is the place of residence of the bishop. Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church – the second place of his stay.

The Dom is the parish church of the congregation Gemeinde der Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin, a member of the umbrella organisation Evangelical Church of Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia. The Berlin Cathedral has never been a cathedral in the actual sense of that term since it has never been the seat of a bishop. The bishop of the Evangelical Church in Berlin-Brandenburg (under this name 1945–2003) is based at St. Mary’s Church and Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin. St. Hedwig’s Cathedral serves as the seat of Berlin’s Roman Catholic metropolitan bishop.


Before the cathedral is a park Lustgarten, which for centuries was constantly changing its shape. The modern look of the park acquired September 24, 1999, was opened after reconstruction. Now Lustgarten is a green lawn with a lawn, as conceived once Karl Friedrich Schinkel, the center of which is a fountain.

In 1940 the blast waves of Allied bombing blew part of the windows away. On 24 May 1944, a bomb of combustible liquids entered the roof lantern of the dome. The fire could not be extinguished at that unreachable section of the dome. So the lantern burnt out and collapsed into the main floor. Between 1949 and 1953 a temporary roof was built to enclose the building. On 9 May 1967 the then still undivided Evangelical Church of the Union decided a committee for the reconstruction of the Supreme Parish and Cathedral Church, then located in East Berlin. The government of the Eastern German Democratic Republic did not oppose the work of the committee due to the concomitant inflow of Deutsche Marks.


Comments are closed.